Useful Links for Ham Radio Operators
Getting Started in the Basics:
- All About Circuits: Explores the fundamentals of electricity and electronics, a great resource and starting point for those just beginning to learn about the science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) associated with the vast realm of amateur radio. Thank you, Taylor!
- All About Electronic Circuits for Kids: A big shout out to Mason McCoy, who found this resource while working on his Boy Scout Electronics Merit Badge and shared it with our club to use on this website. It’s an excellent article by Mark Houlahan for Speedway Motors Academy, and while it’s especially for kids, it’s also good for anyone new to electronics or ham radio. It covers the three parts of a circuit, how they work together, closed and open circuits, and measuring electricity:At the end of this article, there is also a treasure trove of additional links for kids who want to learn more about electricity and electric circuits, including some do-it-yourself projects.
Useful Online Tools:
More ham radio resources:
- Severe Weather and Storm Spotter Resources: Learn about all kinds of severe weather, why Storm Spotters are needed, and how to become a Storm Spotter. We learned about this excellent site from a student named Amelia. She and her father came across it when she was doing extra research. Thank you, Amelia!
- Great Links for Ham Radio Operators: includes links to other area ham radio groups, hamfests, county information, weather information, and much more.
- Telecommunications Timeline: This site gives some information on the history of telecommunications and a very interesting timeline from prehistory to modern times. Thanks to Peyton Wertz who thought this was a great read—especially for kids her age—and suggested it would be a good addition to this resource page. We agree!
- Radio Master List Directory: This site offers a comprehensive receiver and transceiver specifications and performances database.
- Youngsters on the Air (YOTA): This is an organization dedicated to educating, inspiring, and motivating young people to enter and thrive in the hobby of Amateur Radio.
- Ham Nation: An online TV show and podcast hosted by Bob Heil, Gordon West, George Thomas, Don Wilbanks, Valerie Hotzfeld, Amanda Alden, and Dale Puckett dedicated to sharing the excitement and importance of ham radio.
- CW Academy – learn Morse Code: CW Academy is a program put on by the CW Operators’ Club aimed at increasing the number of competent CW operators on the HF CW sub-bands. It addresses all levels of enthusiasts: from those aspiring to become licensed operators who want to learn and use Morse code; to veteran operators who are intent on increasing their CW skills, speed and activity.